Autism ‘Cure’ Hoax

Autistic people see, hear and feel the world differently to other people. It is not an illness or disease, and therefore cannot be ‘cured’. Unfortunately, this does not prevent people from suggesting otherwise.

The Claims

The ‘Miracle Mineral Solution’ is a solution of sodium chlorite in distilled water. It was first suggested by Jim Humble in a self-published book, first released in 2006. There is also a more diluted version of the same solution marketed as Chlorine Dioxide Solution, or CDS.

Jim Humble’s book claims that his Miracle Mineral Solution can act as a preventative against malaria, cancer, the hepatitis viruses, and – most damaging of all, autism. It was not until Kerri Rivera became a promoter that it really began to be sold as a cure for autism, however.

Kerri Rivera has claimed that treating children with Miracle Mineral Solution has removed 170 children from the autistic spectrum. She believes that the cure purges the body of a range of parasites that cause autism. In spite of the fact that her support of this ‘treatment’ has forced her to move to Mexico in order for her to be able to continue to offer it, she is still as vocal a supporter of it as ever.

The Truth

Sodium chlorite is a toxic chemical. It can cause acute renal failure if ingested, and has caused fatalities in adults who have ingested it. This has caused the supporters of it to change the method of administering it to an enema, and say that it needs to be ‘activated’ by adding citric acid.

Adding citric acid to sodium chlorite produces an aqueous solution containing chlorine dioxide – a toxin commonly used in bleach. It should be obvious that giving a child an enema of bleach is a damaging process which will do nothing to combat the symptoms of autism.

In spite of the claims that the vomiting, nausea and diarrhea the product causes are proof that it is working, this is not the case. It is simply due to the fact that the solution is toxic, and the body is programmed to attempt to purge toxins as best it can. Chronic exposure to even small doses of chlorine dioxide can cause reproductive and neurodevelopmental damage. It has been shown to impair thyroid functions and reduce red blood cell counts when tested on animals.

Conclusion

Please do not give your children MMS ‘cures’. They do not work, and use of them is abuse, no matter how well-meaning your intentions might be. If you need help and support in dealing with autism, I encourage you to visit the National Autistic Society website – they offer a wide range of services, and should be able to point you in the right direction to find the help you need.